Monday, June 25, 2012

Packin' light!

Well, we have wrapped up our summer school gigs and we are getting ready for our big trip! Two weeks abroad and it can not come fast enough. We have been planning this trip unofficially for over a year. Way before engagements, wedding plans, house hunts, or paint swatches.

We didn't have a long honeymoon after our wedding. A small compromise for planning a wedding in 4 1/2 months I guess. In our professions taking off mid year is a nightmare so we waited for the summer. Worth it? Oh yes! We actually had time to plan our trip. I'm trying to imagine tromping through Europe after our wedding whirlwind. I was a zombie for about a week after so I am glad we waited.

I know everyone has thier own opinions about traveling and packing. I just wanted to share how I pack for long trips abroad. It really does work! AND I wanted to take some pictures with my new camera:)

Instead of a purse I opted for a small backpack. We needed something for the camera, waterbottles, and maybe a beach book. I know what you are thinking. I will look like a tourist! But maybe a little cooler than the guy with his camera around his neck and socks with sandals! From traveling before I learned you should not carry a bag that someone can easily slip their hand into on a train....or market....or anywhere! I picked up this little gem at Target. Loved to pop of neon! Trendy? Yes, have you seen teenagers recently? I am ok with that!


We will be traveling by plane, train, bus, by foot, and boat and I want to be able to carry everything in one carry-on....each! Gasp...I know we're crazy! Really this decision comes from fear of losing a bag in a foriegn country. I kind of want my toothbrush and undies at an arms reach. Especially if I am running through an airport trying to make a flight connection.

Let me break down what we were going to be doing on this trip. Walking, eating, shopping, biking, hiking, swimming, catching trains, sipping wine, and watching sunsets. What do I need? Simple and basic. A super simple color scheme. Layers! Comfortable shoes! We are not going anywhere fancy enough for heels so I am not even bothering with a dressy shoe.


I decided that my "go to" would be black and white with pops of color. Black and white patterns just stand out in photographs so that's what I went with. Keeping it really simple so everything could mix and match.





Years ago a friend told me when she traveled she packed only black and then changed things up with jewelry and scarves because they take up less room in your suitcase. I really can't see myself in black everyday so I added some punches of color. I am taking a pair of running shoes since we will be doing so much biking and hiking. My travel shoe that I swear by......Reef flip-flops. Don't judge me! A huge thank you to my Lady who hooked me up for this trip. You cannot go wrong with these shoes because they are so comfortable, can be worn with anything casual, and can get wet and dry out without problem. Are they the most fashionable shoe on the market? Hell no, but they have made my trips a lot more enjoyable. They really have come a long way, check them out here. I am also throwing in a pair of silver flip-flops, they are flat and take up no space.



Another big traveling tip is a cami, or tank. I like to wear these under most of my tops so you can wear them multiple times. They take up such little space and really do save you from being a complete stink pot!

And people will ask what about toiletries? My one quart bag is popping at the seams! Well, we pack as much as will get us to our first destination plus two nights and then find a drug store!  Europeans brush their teeth too people! Maybe not four times a day like I do but I am confident we will locate some toothpaste. And if you know me at all, you know I never wash my hair...another gasp! That's why they made travel size baby powder....and hats....and dry shampoo!

More must haves....
wind breaker/rain coat and small umbrella
reusable water bottles *absolute MUST*
sunglasses
hat(s)
fold up bag for wet/dirty clothes
J. Crew chambray shirt....obsessed with this shirt! I wear it with everything!

House update: Our bedroom is painted and the curtains are up...ok, two are up. I also bought the guest room curtain fabric. Guest bathroom is finished too! When we get home from this trip we will only have a few days before we leave again for my cousins wedding in Colorado. So excited about that! Hopefully we can get some things cranked out in those few days.
Furniture! We definitly lack dressers, as in we have zero! AND Mr. R gave me the ok to start on the pink bathroom renovation when we get home. And me means a crew of professionals that I supervise. Yeah! No more Anne Frank bathroom!

Thanks so much for following our little blog. We feel very blessed! This summer is going to be so memorable!

Happy Traveling!


No comments:

Post a Comment